The first step in your preparation and your journey into one of the IITs is the belief in yourself that you have it in you to realise this dream. You will not reach far if you think getting into IIT is too tough for you and it is only for the super-smart.
A very crucial issue facing JEE aspirants is the problem of time (race against time phrase meaning) management. Manage your time well. Give proper importance to all the three subjects i.e. Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. But one very important thing is to be regular and consistently follow the daily timetable. Also, make sure that you revise and practice regularly. For example, suppose that you are able to put in 4 hours of study everyday. You could possibly use 2 of those 4 hours for advancing along your (unfinished) syllabus and the other 2 for revising parts of what you’ve already covered up to that particular day.
You also need proper study material which can guide you in the subjects. Lots of study material is available in the market for the JEE, including numerous books (both good and bad) and study material of various institutes (again, both good and bad). You must choose a good study material and stick to it.
For IIT-JEE pre-planning is required, if you are in the class VI or VII, it is advised that you improve your analytical skills. So students require working hard from the initial stage for IIT-JEE.
Following are a few basic points one must keep in mind:
- Plan a daily timetable having equal distribution of time for each subject.
- While studying the subject one should invest time in the theory as well as on solving good questions keeping in mind the time barrier.
- Always start from BASICS because “without base, there will be no altitude” and “journey of a thousand miles begin with a single step”.
- Always BUILD UP RIGHT & APPROPRIATE BASICS because “once the track of train is being changed, it will go on only that track”. So always select the right track .
- Never prefer solutions of questions before doing SELF-ATTEMPT at least five times till you get the right answer because “without falling you cannot stand at once”.
- Never leave the question in between. There are students who practice a question without attempting it as a whole, and it’s a very big fault for students.
- Always try a question with CONCEPTUAL APPROACH, rather than just (just in case definition) reading the question start doing without getting the main point.
- Your study schedule should be such that you easily get the time for a little enjoyment daily.
- Most important thing is that you should be having a time schedule as well as REGULARITY in studies.
- Also you will have to take (take with a grain of salt idiom synonym) appropriate sleep or rest of at least 6-7 hours a day if you are preparing for IIT-JEE otherwise your mindset for next day will not be in the right place.
- Do not get into the habit of studying late into night. Instead get up at 6 in the morning and sleep by 11 at night. This will keep your brain activity maximum in the morning and will help you when you actually attempt JEE.
- Never cram the things, always TRY TO UNDERSTAND the problem by studying the theory conceptually.
- And NEVER LOSE CONFIDENCE while you are preparing.
- Always keep contact with intelligent students of your class.
- Always keep the copy of latest syllabus of the particular exam. Always check the syllabus before starting a new topic.
- Always study everything with GREAT INTEREST.
Usually, students study for about 1 or 2 years to prepare for IIT-JEE. So, planning plays an important role. A good planning strategy will keep you focused and result in better gains.